Q. What is "Magnus Force"?
- When a rotating cylinder or sphere is placed in a uniform flow (in the wind and water flow), the work force in a direction perpendicular to the flow is called "Magnus Effect". This lifting force is a Magnus Force (below picture). This phenomenon has been investigated by German physicist, Heinrich Gustav Magnus in 1852. A curve ball in baseball or a slice in golf has the same phenomenon.
Q. How does it work?
- Rotating Cylinder Wing instead of propeller can generate the Magnus Force and that force can rotate turbine. However, when only the Cylinder Wing is attached to turbine, the Magnus Force generated on the windward side and the Magnus Force generated on the leeward side cancel out and the whole turbine does not turn. We, Challenergy, have succeeded in developing the unique technology which efficiently turns the wind turbine. (International patent pending)
- Q. Why does the Magnus Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) have a different shape from that of the typical propeller-type wind turbine?
- The typical wind turbine which is a "horizontal-axis × propeller" type has difficulty in corresponding to the frequent change of wind direction and a potential risk to go beyond control in strong wind condition. Though the typical wind turbine can maintain high efficiency generation in stable wind speed and direction, it is hard to continue generation in sudden change of wind speed and direction.
Moreover, the typical wind turbine in the region where typhoon or hurricane often hits like Japan potentially break down.
On the other hand, "Vertical axis × Magnus force" type wind turbine which we have developed can correspond to entire wind directions due to vertical axis form and also control power generation in accordance with the wind speed by Magnus force in the rotation control of the Cylinder Wing. It is also expected to improve on cost effectiveness of wind turbine.
Please also look at this technical information as well. → https://challenergy.com/products.html
- Q. What is the power generation efficiency and the wind speed range of the Magnus VAWT?
- We can not currently disclose those information as the Magnus VAWT had finished wind tunnel experiment in December, 2015 and just started the first field test in Nanjo City, Okinawa Prefecture from August, 2016.
- Q. Does "typhoon power generation" mean that it only generates electricity during typhoon?
- We call the stable electricity generation by the Magnus VAWT under the sever circumstances of frequent change of wind speed and wind direction, like happening in typhoon, "typhoon power generation". We are developing the Magnus VAWT which can stably generate electricity both under normal wind condition where the existing wind turbine can generator and sever conditions such as typhoon where the existing can not.
- Q. Can you give us the brochure of magnus wind turbine indicating the specifications such as generating capacity, product size and price?
- As we are at the development phase, we do not prepare any brochures indicating the above information.
Along with the progress of the product development, this web site will continue to guide you to the latest information of our product. Please continue to check our website.
- Q. When do you expect to commercialize the Magnus VAWT?
- We are aiming to commercialize 10kW capacity of the Magnus VAWT by 2020, TOKYO Olympics and Paralympics. Along with the progress of the product development, this website will continue to guide you to the latest information of our product. Please continue to check our website.
Q. How much capacity of the Magnus VAWT do you intend to achieve?
- We will never stop upsizing the capacity. We are aiming to achieve MW class turbine in the future.
- Q. Do you have the tour to the actual prototype?
- The first prototype is exhibited in TEPIA gallery in Aoyama, Tokyo until March 2017. It was tested in wind tunnel experiment in 2015.
Please refer to the following URL for more details of the gallery.
The second prototype, which has been in the field test in Nanjo City, Okinawa Prefecture, does not open to the public as it is now in the technical development phase.
- Q. Can you accept media coverage of your company?
- Any media coverage is acceptable at any time. If you are interested in our company, please contact the spokesperson (Miyazaki) via contacts form on this website. However, please note that there is a case where we can not accept coverage due to the development progress.
- Q. Are you hiring a new graduate from university or a mid-career?
- Challenergy tackles to make an innovation to the world energy market. For that purpose, we are looking for a lot of knowledge and techniques from various backgrounds. Therefore, we are always open to recruit the new member.
However, as we highly evaluate job experiences, we do not have plans to hire new graduates from university.
Learn more about the recruitment from this link. → https://challenergy.com/recruit/
- Q. Can you accept volunteers (pro bono) and interns?
- We welcome volunteers (pro bono) after the graduation of university. In fact, some volunteers support us in weekends. Not limited to the technological development, there is an opportunity to do the marketing and the business strategies of our company. If you can support our challenge, please contact us via contact form
Unfortunately, currently we are not accepting student intern.
- Q. Can you tell the current job position you are recruiting?
- Please refer to the following recruit information. → https://challenergy.com/recruit/
- Q. Can the Magnus VAWT be applied to Feed-In Tariff (FIT) in Japan?
- Our magnus wind turbine is currently in the development phase and is not corresponding to Feed-In Tariff (FIT) in Japan.
In addition, it is not decided yet to be adapted in the future.
- If you can not find the answer in FAQ you want to know
- Please reach us through CONTACT FORM