Q. What is "Magnus Force?"
- When a rotating cylinder or sphere is placed in a uniform flow (in the wind and water flow), the work force in a direction perpendicular to the flow is called the "Magnus Effect." This lifting force is the Magnus Force (see image below). This phenomenon has been investigated by German physicist Heinrich Gustav Magnus in 1852. A curve ball in baseball or a slice in golf also exhibit the same phenomenon.
Q. How does it work?
- Unlike a propeller, the Rotating Cylinder Wing can generate the Magnus Force, and this force can rotate the turbine. However, when the Cylinder Wing is only attached to the turbine, the Magnus Force generated on the windward side and the leeward side cancels out, and no movement is initiated.
We, at Challenergy, have succeeded in developing the unique technology needed to solve this problem.
(International Patent Pending)
- Q. Why does the Magnus Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) have a different shape from that of a typical propeller-type wind turbine?
- The typical wind turbine which is a "horizontal-axis × propeller" type has difficulty adjusting to the frequent changes in wind direction and has the potential risk to go beyond control in strong wind conditions. Though the typical wind turbine can maintain high efficiency generation during stable wind speed and direction, it is hard to maintain its energy generation if there are sudden changes in the wind conditions. Moreover, there are instances when the typical wind turbine breaks down in regions where there are high occurrences of typhoons and hurricanes, just like in Japan. In contrast, the "Vertical Axis × Magnus force" type of wind turbine which we have developed can adjust to any wind direction due to its vertical axis form, and it can also control power generation in accordance with the wind speed by Magnus force in the rotation control of the Cylinder Wing. It is also expected to improve the cost effectiveness of wind turbine.
For more details on the technical aspects of our product, please see: https://challenergy.com/products.html
- Q. What is the power generation efficiency and the wind speed range of the Magnus VAWT?
- We cannot currently disclose this information as the Magnus VAWT had just finished its wind tunnel experiment in December 2015 and is undergoing its first field test in Nanjo City, Okinawa Prefecture which started in August 2016.
- Q. Does "typhoon power generation" mean that it only generates electricity during typhoon?
- We are developing the Magnus VAWT to operate in both normal and extreme wind conditions, a feat that no other wind turbine can.
- Q. Can you give us the brochure of the Magnus Vertical Axis Wind Turbine indicating the specifications, such as generating capacity, product size and price?
- As we are currently at the development phase, we have not prepared any brochures indicating the above information. However, along with the progress of the product development, we will continue updating our website for the latest information of our product.
- Q. When do you expect to commercialize the Magnus VAWT?
- Our goal is to commercialize the 10kW capacity of the Magnus VAWT by 2020. Please continue checking our website for our latest product developments!
Q. How much capacity of the Magnus VAWT do you intend to achieve?
- We will never stop upsizing the Magnus VAWT's capacity. We aim to achieve the MW class turbine in the future!
- Q. Do you have tours for the actual prototype?
- The first prototype was exhibited at the TEPIA Gallery in Aoyama, Tokyo last March 2017. This prototype was tested in a wind tunnel experiment in 2015.
Please refer to the following URL for more details about the gallery: http://www.tepia.jp/exhibition
The second prototype, which has been field tested in Nanjo City, Okinawa Prefecture, is currently restricted for public viewing as it is now in the technical development phase.
- Q. Do you accept media coverage of your company?
- We welcome any kind of media coverage! If you are interested in our company, please contact our spokesperson (Mr. Miyazaki) via our Contact Form. However, please note that there may be times when we cannot accept media coverage as we are still in the development phase.
- Q. Do you hire fresh graduates from university or professionals in mid-career?
- Challenergy is currently innovating solutions for the world energy market. For that purpose, we are always looking for talents from various backgrounds.
However, as we highly prioritize job experience, we currently have no plans in hiring new graduates from universities.
Learn more about work opportunities at Challenergy using this link: https://challenergy.com/recruit/
- Q. Do you accept volunteers (pro bono) and interns?
- We welcome volunteers (pro bono) after their graduation from university. In fact, there are some volunteers who support us on weekends. Voluntary work is not limited to the technological development of our product; there is also an opportunity to perform marketing and business development in our company. If you want to support our initiative, please contact us through our Contact Form.
Unfortunately, we are currently not accepting student interns.
- Q. Can you tell me about your current job openings?
- For more details about our current job openings, please refer to the following link: https://challenergy.com/recruit/
- Q. Can the Magnus VAWT be applied to Feed-In Tariff (FIT) in Japan?
- As the Magnus VAWT is still in the development phase, it is still unclear whether it can be applied to the Feed-in Tariff in Japan.
- If you cannot find an answer in the FAQs
- Please contact us through our Contact Form and we'll answer you as soon as possible.